Wednesday 13 August 2014

It's Whitechapel Wednesday again...

Today we had Jacobs first check up since the amazing news four weeks ago. He had a vision test yesterday to make sure he's still developing as he should be in regards to his sight in his left eye. He did really well, it's obviously difficult to judge at his age as he can't say what he can and can't see. The appointment only lasts ten minutes and it's quite a drag having to go all the way to Whitechapel for his eye test, but they are so fantastic and know all about Jacobs condition so it's the best place he could be. I didn't hardly sleep last night, I felt so sick and nervous at the thought of today and just thought that they're is no way he could go seven weeks without treatment without some regrowth. Everyone tells me to be positive but I just can't be because I don't want to be disappointed. We were on the morning list today which is so much better. And they were running nice and smooth so Jacob went down to theatre at 8.30. As usual we went down to the restaurant and they were still serving breakfast so there was no crumble for me today! I did eat a whole cooked breakfast though. By the time we got back, Jacob was ready to be collected from recovery. Like last time, it was really quick compared to usual so I started to think that it may be good news again but still didn't want to get excited. He was so distressed today which was really unusual for him. He normally has his bottle of milk and then goes back to sleep. But he refused the milk today and was so upset. It took me a good half an hour to calm him down and I managed to sneak in a little nap too. It is so so tiring hanging around there waiting for the results and we have to leave home at 6am too so by the time Jacob comes back from theatre we are normally so drained. It felt like hours until Mr Reddy, Jacobs consultant came round to give us the news. Jacobs tumours were still stable and he didn't need any treatment again! I burst into tears and thought it was a joke. I just couldn't believe it.
His nurses and consultants are so wonderful. Because Retinoblastoma is so rare, only the Royal London Hospital and Birmingham hospital can deal with it. The nurses love Jacob and they make us feel so at ease when we are there. Rich is 30 on Friday, and it will also be a year to the day when we found out Jacob was poorly. To say Rich had a rubbish birthday last year would be an understatement. The nurses all knew this so today they surprised him with a birthday cake and card. It was so lovely and I think Rich really appreciated it. It was such great news that Jacob was still stable too as I was so worried that if we'd had bad news, it would have really brought back all the pain we felt at this time last year. The pain of what Jacob is going through never goes away but you get used to it. The best thing we ever did was try to keep life as normal as possible for everybody. We aren't back at RLH for six weeks now! That's the longest break we've ever had so we are feeling very grateful today.

Sleepy boy after theatre.


Look at that pout. 

Birthday boy!

So Jacob is officially walking now! I cannot believe I have a toddler! He is still very unsteady but he's like a different child. He has really become more of a little character in the last few days. He doesn't stop shouting and talking and trying to play games with you. I have felt so unbelievably proud of him recently. More so than usual. Just because he has come along so much and really is becoming an amazing little boy. I may be being a little bit biased! My sister just tells me how much of a little rogue he is, but I blame Teddy for teaching him! Haha. Teddy and Jacob have really started to play together and I love it. I always hoped that they would be close after finding out we were having a boy. Teddy has started to share everything with Jacob too. Sweets, toys, play-doh! I love it. 
Sophie is looking after our friend Kirsty's guinea pigs while she is on holiday, and Jacob loves them! We went there for dinner tonight and the boys were giving them their food, although Jacob kept trying to eat it himself. I think we will get Jacob a little pet as he loves animals so much. Although I'm not sure our dog would cope very well! 

Hanging out with Margaret and Mabel. 

I had to share this photo as I thought he looked so cute in this outfit. It was Teddy's and he looked so cute in it too. 


Chief rogue Teddy.


No comments:

Post a Comment