Tuesday 22 July 2014

Playdates and immunisations.

My friend Kayleigh asked if I would look after her little girl Darcie for a few hours on Monday. I jumped at the chance as I absolutely love her and she loves Jacob. They are so cute together. She's two next month so there's about 9 months between them. She looks after Jacob when she's with him, the way she goes upto him and leans over and checks he's okay and offers him his drink is absolutely adorable. Jacob went for his afternoon nap not long after Darcie got here and the whole time she kept asking where he was. She just kept going "Jacob?". She associates him with slides as we go to Wild and Wacky together a lot and Jacob tends to climb up the slide while Darcie is trying to go down. 
My friend Laura was here with Jacobs BFF Jonah, and my sister was also here with Teddy so it was rather chaotic! Luckily the weather was good so they were all playing outside. My neighbours probably think I'm running some back alley crèche. 
Darcie is so well behaved, I knew I wouldn't have any trouble handling her and Jacob together. Makes me think another one of my own will be a piece of cake (yeah right.) I do keep threatening to kidnap Darcie, but her dad John didn't seem too keen on the idea...

Char Char's Nursery. 


Playing house.


Buddies.

Today, we had the first of Jacob's immunisations post chemo. He only had the 8 week ones first time round as he was diagnosed with Rb at 12 weeks and we actually had to cancel his 12 week lot due to his first appointment at the Royal London Hospital. It was then we found out he would be having chemotherapy so we were advised by his consultant not to continue with them. For a couple of reasons, one being that his bloods and immunity will probably be too low and it's too risky to inject him with live viruses. And the second was that the chemo would wipe out any immunity he had anyway so effectively would wipe out the vaccines. We've had to time his injections around his RLH visits too because if he was to get a fever in the week or so before going there, whether it be from teething or a vaccine or a cold, the anaesthetists can refuse to see him and to put him to sleep. And obviously his appointments at RLH are a priority to us so that always came first. Luckily, with the amazing news last week and our four week break, we've been able to fit them in.
He is due to have them all again, so the 8, 12 and 16 week ones and then the one year MMR. The nurse gave me the choice of him having all 5 injections today, then the boosters in a month, or we could spread them out a little bit. I opted for the latter as I didn't want him to have all of them and completely knock him for six. He had the MMR today too which I wasn't expecting. I know there are so many mixed feelings about this vaccine, and Rich and me have spoken about it, but at the end of the day, with everything Jacob has gone through and the fact that if he was to get any of the illnesses, his cancer treatment could be delayed, there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted him to have it. Yes, he could easily get over measles but if it delayed his cancer treatment, would it be worth it? Never. 
He was so, so brave. I was so nervous that I asked my sister to come with me. I went with her for Teddy's one year vaccinations and it was absolutely hideous. He was sat on Sophie's lap all happy and laughing at me and then the nurse stuck the needles in and his face absolutely dropped and it was the most heartbreaking little face ever. I can still see it now. So ever since then, I'd always said whenever I had a baby, Sophie could come with me and go through it herself. She'd offered to help pin him if he went mad, but to be honest, after pinning him every other week for when he's put to sleep, I knew I'd be okay. He was easy enough to keep still and the nurse was pretty speedy. He let out a little whimper after the last one but was fine after about ten seconds. I was honestly so shocked, but he's so used to being messed about with and prodded and poked that I don't know why I was surprised he wasn't bothered. So sad really. But he is so strong. Makes mummy look like a big wimp. The nurse at our GP surgery was so lovely, she said how wonderful it was to see Jacob and how well he's doing. He's a little bit of a celebrity down there. Everytime I ring, I get, "oh Jacob! The little boy with the poorly eye?" Yes, that's him. One time we went, and the doctor we saw grabbed some nurses going by and was introducing him to everyone. I've been going to the same surgery my whole life and it's pretty much all the same doctors so it's pretty crazy sometimes. They see so many people everyday, so it's quite touching they remember us. 
Jacob seemed happy enough after, I'd gotten the calpol at the ready just in case. He went down for his nap as normal, happy. But woke up like an angry little monster. Normally after a drink and a snack, he's back to himself. But he did not stop crying, following me around and hanging off my leg. Which was very difficult while I was trying to hang washing out. There was only one thing for it, the washing got left in the basket in a big wet pile and we watched Frozen. 
Rich brought him home a new castle tent for his room for being brave. And I'd only told the nurses earlier that he isn't spoilt. If any of you are reading this, I wasn't lying! Promise! 
I'm expecting a rough night with him, but hopefully he'll sleep well and there will be no fevers in this house! Calpol is like a little godsend to me now as we went so long with Jacob not being able to have it because of the chemo. (It can hide a fever which can be an infection in their Hickman line/port-a-cath) Through teething and colds and coughs, we just had to let him ride it out. It took me so long after his chemo had finished to even give him any calpol or nurofen through fear of a missed infection or something. But as silly as it sounds, I am so grateful for it now. Especially with the teething! 
As I'm finishing writing this, Rich and me are tag teaming trying to settle Jacob, looks like post immunisation grumpiness doesn't like to sleep...

The king of the castle. 

Mummy trying to get in on the action!

Thankyou for reading!x 




No comments:

Post a Comment