Sunday 21 February 2016

Back at it.

Jacob had another check up on Wednesday where we received the news that the stubborn little tumour in his left eye isn't giving up and the retinal detachment isn't getting any better so he will need further treatment. As cryotherapy is no longer an option due to the damage it is causing to his eye, they are going to try either the radioactive plaque, which we knew was an option. Or intra-arterial chemotherapy. That nasty little C word again. There's alot of those isn't there!? There are a few side effects with IAC, not as many as regular chemotherapy but still. IAC is when a catheter is inserted through a vein in the groin and fed up into the affected eye. The vein can collapse or spasm which stops the catheter going in and therefore the procedure will be cancelled and then they try again maybe the following week. It can also cause Jacobs blood pressure to drop very quickly and then they require adrenaline. Which is the scariest part for me and why I am leaning much more towards the plaque. They can also lose their lashes, eyebrow and sometimes some hair at the front and it can cause their eyelid to temporarily droop but again, it is so different for everyone. I had totally prepared myself for the possibility of the plaque so when Jacobs consultant said this, I wasn't overly shocked. It was when the chemo was mentioned again that I panicked. We don't find out until Monday afternoon what they've decided will be the best course of treatment. I have tried not to think about it too much. Plus the babies and me all have a rotten cough and cold so we've been tackling that. Alba has slept through the night the last two nights though and I'm hoping it isn't because she is poorly. Jacob has also stayed in his bed all night too. He normally ends up in with us and he started demanding to lay on the outside of the bed on my pillow which is fabulous. I'll be wishing for sleepless nights again when they grow up and dont want to cuddle me.


No comments:

Post a Comment